I know this quarantine has been crazy for many and stressful for others. I've had a lot of concern expressed to me about staying connected during quarantine, so I'm here to speak on that topic! It's hard to stay connected while we're all at home. I know everyone speaks in different love languages, so it can be hard for all of my friends out there that touch, time, or service is one of their firstmost love languages! I feel you! I am feeling the same way. But I assure you there are ways to stay connected and express your love, even during times of uncertainty. And remember, you can't control the situation, but you can control how you react to it. Your actions are your choices and they can help you turn something ugly into something beautiful! I hope some of these tips will help you stay connected in unexpected ways and help you and your friends bring smiles to each other's faces!
- Scheduling Zoom calls- Zoom calls are fun ways to stay connected! You can have these with friends, family, or friends you haven't gotten the chance to see in a while! Pick a time that works for all of you, so that everyone can feel included. During this call you could simply talk, play games with each other, or share some other things you've been personally working on, like pieces of writing, art, or anything else!
- Join a new, safe, site-I personally have become involved in a few other online communities during this quarantine! I love to read, so I've started my Goodreads account back up to track my reading and talk with others about books! I've been doing a few buddy reads, which is where you connect with someone who wants to read the same book as you. You agree to read the same amount of pages each day and then get on to talk about it! It's been a great way for me to connect to others and keep up a great reading record :) If you have any questions about Goodreads and want to join, I'd be happy to tell you a little more about the site! If you're interested in another site, I would talk to your parents about different sites for you to become involved on! Chances are if there's an interest, there's an online community!
- Writing Letters- My friends and I have been sending snail mail like there's no tomorrow! Sending snail mail is a fun way to stay connected, and have some magic in your mailbox too! I would message one of your friends, or one of your group chats, and ask who would like to starts sending letters! My friends and I have been including fun, free gifts in our letters too like playlists we've made up, stickers, drawings, mini-paintings, reading lists, bookmarks, quotes, and more! There's tons of free fun things that you are able to create to put in your letters that make them really fun to open but still make them so you're not blowing up your bank account! Plus, writing letters gives you something to look forward to in your mailbox! It's a great, fun way to stay connected
- Finding Online Classes-Many instructors, teachers, and coaches have been posting different classes online through Instagram Lives, Facebook, or on their websites. Even though you might not have these social media platforms, I'm sure your parents would allow you to take one through theirs here or there! There's been plenty of awesome lives for books, dancing, drawing, and tons of other online classes. I'm personally a dancer, and NYC ballet, The Royal Ballet, and more have all been releasing content and dances that they've never released to the public on video before! Many other sports/interests have been doing the same! Find a fun class that you might like and take it! It'll help you stay connected to the community that enjoys it, or it might allow you to try something different
- Create Challenges For Friends-My friends and I have been challenging each other to do fun different things like wearing dresses, putting some of our favorite earrings in, completing an assignment, or working on something new! Completing a challenge is always fulfilling and you're able to stay connected through talking to friends while feeling fan-freaking-tastic!
- Listen to a Podcast-Podcasts are often seen for older people, but that's super not true! I love podcasts and I have one I listen to ALL THE TIME called Connecting With Walt! It's all about Disney history! There's a podcast for every age and every interest out there. I would recommend looking up online some of your interests and podcasts and there should be some that come up! If you have an Apple device, there's a podcast app the comes right on there, so you should be able to find a bunch of cool free podcasts to listen to! If not, many podcasts are also posted online to listen to. After a while, the people speaking sort of feel like your friends because you've listened to them for so long! It's a really cool way to learn about something new while doing something else like a puzzle, and you feel connected because the person speaking is like your friend! :)
Here are some other fun things to do during quarantine! These might not always "keep you super connected" but they're fun things to work on!
- Puzzles, reading, cleaning up something you've been meaning to for a long time, have a fashion show for your family/friends, go through your clothes in your closet (do you REALLY need those pants from 4 years ago??), create some art! (remember art isn't about perfection, it's about creativity, so no art is "bad"!, have a movie marathon, try something you've never done before, read a magazine, rearrange your room, have a photoshoot, go on a walk, play outside, go through your stuff and decide what you really need/want and donate the rest (after this is all over of course!), and cook a new recipe!
I hope some of those tips were able to help you :) Remember that you're extremely powerful and beautiful inside and out and we will eventually get out of this quarantine! Stay strong...we will get through this! And if you need anything, remember your fellow sister to sister mentors are here for you...don't hesitate to send questions in, or PM us!